Add an extra touch of luxury and flavour to your steak, with these recipes for steak sauces, including salsa verde, blue cheese and chop house butter.
This piquant Italian classic is a great allrounder.
1 – 2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
2 large handfuls of flat-leaf parsley
1 handful of fresh basil
1 handful of fresh mint
1 tbsp capers, rinsed
6 anchovy fillets, rinsed
1 tbsp mustard
150mls rapeseed oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1) Finely chop the garlic, herbs, capers and anchovies together. Don’t be tempted to use a blender or food processor as everything will turn to a mush.
2) Place the chopped ingredients in a bowl and stir in the mustard and red wine vinegar. Then, whilst mixing, slowly pour the oil into the bowl.
3) Serve with steak, chicken or fish.
Blue Cheese and Mushroom Sauce
This great sauce is made in your steak pan, making the most of those delicious meat juices and flavours! And, because it’s so simple to prepare, it’ll be ready just as your steak has finished resting.
Knob of butter and a tsp rapeseed oil
100g mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
3 tbsp creme fraiche
75g blue cheese, crumbled
Salt and pepper for seasoning
1) Once your steak is cooked and resting, place the steak pan over a low-medium heat and add the knob of butter along with the rapeseed oil.
2) Once the butter has melted, add the mushrooms and cook gently until soft.
3) Add the creme fraiche and blue cheese and stir everything together, until the cheese has melted and you have a nice creamy sauce.
4) Season to taste and serve with the steak.
Chop House Butter
Don’t be put off by the ingredients list; this butter is easy to make and will sit in your freezer until the next time you need it.
1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
100ml red wine
1/2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
1/2 tbsp horseradish sauce
250g butter, softened
1 tbsp Henderson’s Relish
1 tbsp brown sauce
1 tbsp mustard
1 tsp Gentleman’s Relish, or a finely chopped anchovy fillet
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
1) Heat a little rapeseed oil in a small pan over a low heat.
2) Gently cook the onion and garlic until softened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
3) Transfer into a bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
4) Lay a large piece of cling film on a work surface and place the flavoured butter in the middle of this sheet.
5) Using the cling film roll the butter into a cylinder and wrap in the cling film.
6) Store in the fridge or freezer and slice off and and when required.
7) Serve on top of your favourite steak.
Recipe adapted from a Mark Hix recipe.